Eco Friendly Traveling
Treat the earth well. We do not inherit it from our parents. It is lent to us by our children…..African proverb.
The term eco-friendly travel is being used more and more as environmental awareness is being brought into our lives through documentaries, television and newspapers. Eco-friendly travel is based on an appreciation of ecology and culture. You as an eco-friendly traveler can bring positive impacts and effects to our planet by traveling in an eco-friendly way.
Zabwino African Travel takes a responsible approach to tourism, ensuring that steps are taken to conserve, protect wildlife and encourage and support the local community in order to minimize environmental impact. We focus on working with eco-friendly hotels and lodges who educate our guests, offering information about the local community and explaining how they work to support the environment.
Some ideas on eco-friendly travel
- Use South African owned and managed companies to plan your holiday
- When you are on a safari, check which animals are declining in numbers and need positive contribution and help to stop their disappearance i.e. tigers (look under the Specialist Africa Travel page for more details).
- Learn a couple of words of the local language and be mindful of customs.
- Money generated by tourism should stay within the country and communities.
- Communicate and talk with the local people as this helps inform them on what is happening in the outside world.Zabwino African Travel focuses on itineraries that will leave with a good understanding of the country, wildlife and people.
- Many eco hotels and lodges assist and support their local community with various opportunities; developing a school, selling crafts in the hotel shop and creating local employment. Guests return home knowing that they have improved the lives of the people close by and many guests continue to show their support once the holiday is over.
- Recycling and energy schemes in Africa have been adopted by many eco-friendly hotels, lodges and tour operators….Go Green!
- The importance of eco-friendly travel has never been greater, as environmental damage continues to develop at an alarming rate.
- Wildlife holidays in Africa – safaris in Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Namibia, and South Africa.
- Don’t use soap or shampoo in a river.
- Zabwino African Travel specializes in personally guided mobile safaris to Namibia and Botswana. Guests get a truly wild experience away from the swarming tourist vehicles typical of a ‘’traditional’’ safari holiday, whilst benefiting the wildlife and local communities at the same time.
- Do not smoke on game drives as a cigarette butt can cause a flash fire in an instance and kill many animals and destroy the bush.
- Ask before taking a photo of local Africans.
- Enjoy the haggle at the local market but do not drop the salesman down to the last penny/cent, he is just trying to make a living.
- Rather hand out pens and old clothes then give the local children sweets.
Echo friendly souvenirs as a reminder of your travels
Take only pictures, leave only the lightest of footprints and bring home only memories.
- Buy locally produced souvenirs instead of imported ones
- Careful what items you buy as some come from endangered plants and animals – ivory, fur, tortoiseshell, reptile skins, leopard skins, coral and seashells, rare plants like cacti and orchids.
- Souvenir shopping is great fun especially with a good haggle in the local market as you shop for a bargain, just be careful that you are not being sold an item that is protected.
- Remember……‘’an elephant can be shot a thousand times with a camera but only once with a bullet!’’
Submit an enquiry so we can assist you in planning your eco-friendly holiday to Africa or Indian Ocean Islands.